I just received this comment from a viewer and would like to share it here. Coincidentally, when I received this comment, I, too, had been crying…..missing my beloved dog Sam.
“Hi, Lisa, I’m crying again for your loss as I leave this message. Thank you for your work to get Seattle City Light to do yearly testing. Sammy is proud. Looks like Snohomish PUD is trying to dodge the issue now. That would be my well informed and angry comment here”.
Yesterday I had heard about another electric shock incident involving a dog in a nearby Seattle town, Mountlake Terrace. As I learned of this news, I became outraged, sick to my stomach, tears in my eyes, it was too familar…. almost as if I were re-living a part of a similar and horrible experience just over one year ago.
First, my heart goes out to the owners and their dog. I am very sorry to hear of this and thank god that the owner and dog survived. I hope they are all doing all right from this horrific experience.
The responses from the city and PUD, ”The pole was installed in 2004 by the PUD and is owned and operated by the city. Sometimes when different agencies play a role in installing and operating a light pole, errors occur. It’s unclear if anyone worked on the pole after it was installed, which could have led to the error” are completely and totally unacceptable to me. This is another example of a government-run utility company passing the buck, not accepting responsibility, lack of proper record keeping and making excuses for their “errors”. Don’t they understand that these “errors” could be fatal, pose serious danger to the public? The article goes on to say that city officials are “considering” contact voltage testing program. What’s to consider? Is it going to take a death, perhaps a child, adult, someone’s beloved pet for them to realize the seriousness of this issue and take appropriate action to prevent such tragedies? Contact voltage kills! Shouldn’t their number one goal be public safety? The answer is YES. They must invest in public street light safety by implementing a routine testing program and have proper safety procedures in place at all times. This also includes working with other agencies, any and all work must be inspected, documented, and checked properly and regularly to ensure the public is SAFE. Take it from me and learn from the City of Seattle–regular contact voltage testing saves lives!
R.I.P my Sammy, I miss and love you so much. We continue to fight for street light safety.
To read the article from The Herald go to this link: