Two More Cases of Electric Shock on Dogs?

I was terribly saddened this morning to learn about Sammy’s death and the incident on Thursday. It is doubly painful, since on Wednesday morning, Oslo and I walked to work due to the snow, we wanted to toss our doggie waste in the garbage a bit south of ProRobics on the east side of the Avenue, we then crossed the street, stepping onto the sidewalk right in front of ProNails. Suddenly Oslo fell to the ground and started yelping/screaming and twisting… I fell to my knees and comforted him, and I know in doing so, he slid further away from the metal plate on the ground. I recalled the metal plate as I looked around to see if there were any sharp items or even a grating he might have stepped on. I scooped him up in my arms and carried him into our store and sat with him until he stopped shaking … I realize now I made the unaware assumption that he just slid in the slush and off a piece of ice, and twisted his leg, when in fact, he probably received an electric shock.

We did head down to see Dr. Spencer, who upon examining him thought he might have pinched a nerve. Although I thought in the moment that he appeared to be oddly possessed, as he was convulsing, like a bolt of electricity, it did not completey come together in my head that he was recieving an electrical shock.

So now I am heartwrenched that I almost lost Oslo and unknowingly, never thought about voltage coming out of the submerged boxes. Oslo is okay, however we are all very, very sad about Sammy’s death on our block. Seattle City light have been out on the street today. Please keep us aware of your efforts over the next few weeks. I know how heavy your heart.

With sincere condolences,
John McDowell

john@oslosamensstore.com
John McDowell
**************From Queen Anne View Comments****************************
NEENS
Comment: 16 neens // Nov 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm
I’m so sorry to hear about Sammy. It turns out our Labrador was once shocked on that same block. She yelped and moved, and my husband tried to check for stray voltage, not sure what had happened, but couldn’t tell what the problem was. Now we know for sure what happened.
1
Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Two More Cases of Electric Shock on Dogs?

  1. Marla says:

    Lisa, first of all, I am so, so very sorry for your loss. What a senseless tragedy.

    I just wanted to tell you that a few months ago, my dog too, got a shock, from a light post in down in Belltown. I was walking him right off Denny, turning the corner to go west on Vine, and went he began to pee on the lightpost, he flew backwards, and yelped. I sent an email, to Seattle City Light, and called and reported it, but the person that answered the phone seemed decidedly uninterested. I talked to one of the guys that worked in the garage next to where it happened, and he said that no one even came by to check it afterwards.

    I wonder if it will take a child getting hurt/dying to get them to fix these? I know for me, my little dog is my world, so again, my heart really breaks for you. I don’t know you, but I’m sending a virtual hug to you anyway.

    My deepest condolences.

    • Thank you so much for your sweet thoughts. I am very sorry your dog got shocked, this is something that most of us are not even aware of and I want to bring this to everyone’s attention. Thank god nothing fatal happened to your dog. I hope to be working with the City of Seattle to address this very important issue of contact voltage. It’s very serious and we need to be aware so that we can be safe and keep our loved ones safe. Thank you sharing this with me, it only helps my and Sammy’s case. Thank you, thank you. I miss Sam so much.

      • Sheila says:

        I am deeply saddened by this loss of your beautiful friend Sammy. Having lost two of my dogs to cancer, I understand the terrible pain – comes in waves. Please know I share your loss and I only hope that this will never happen again. I look at my dog, Fiona, and appreciate her more than ever, my best friend. I am so sorry.

    • Thank you so much. I miss Sammy so much, he was my best buddy. Please refer to my blog regularly, I will be working hard to make changes….Sammy and I want to keep people and their pets safe.

  2. karen says:

    I’m so sorry for your loss. My sweet Vizsla has been gone for 3 yrs and I still miss her. I’m sure she met Sammy at the Rainbow Bridge and they are being sweet and goofy together and comparing their awesome pointer good looks. My heart goes out to you, and I promise in time you will be comforted by the good memories… 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s