More Info on Electric Shock and Dogs…

How to Prevent Dog from Getting an Electric Shock? Care for an electrocuted dog

Unfortunately, most dog walkers discover a danger, only sadly, when victimized and so I wanted to inform you of StreetZaps.
(21 Apr 2010)

Electrical leakages or ‘stray voltage’ as it is called, is a very old problem that was first associated with farms. However, in recent years this has become a growing concern as there have been numerous injuries and even fatalities related to electrical leakages. The chances of an individual suffering from injuries brought on by stray voltage is highest in winter when the snow combines with the salt used to melt it to form a salty solution. Salt water is a better conductor of electricity as compared to pure water and so this saltwater slush is especially dangerous. The amount of electricity being used increases during the summer months and this often causes problems with electrical shortages. Faulty wiring is another common contributor to stray voltage.Exposed wires underground can add to the amount of stray voltage. Since these wires cannot be seen, an owner may not realize the cause of their dog’s distress. The intense pain that the animal experiences often causes it to lash out at its owner. Recently, a young girl died of an accidental electrocution while out walking her dogs. Her dogs first received a shock from a metal plate on the street and while she was trying to help her dogs, she came in contact with a metal curb and was electrocuted. While cases of human fatalities are not very common, the number of canine deaths caused by stray voltage is increasing. There have been numerous cases where people have been walking their dog and as the animal walks over a metal plate or manhole cover, it cries out in pain and succumbs to convulsions. In most cases, the dog dies before it can receive any medical help. There have been cases where the animal has lingered on in extreme pain for a couple of hours before passing away. While male dogs are at a higher risk of getting electrocuted while urinating on an electrically charged object, females are also at risk. Do not change your routes often and avoid places that have lampposts with open panels which are an electrical hazard. If your dog resists going by a certain route, do not force him/her but instead try to change your route. Find out local help sites that offer information on problem areas that are prone to electrical leakages.You can also further educate yourself on this topic by scouring the internet and by talking to your vet. It would also be a good idea to talk to your vet about first aid for such a situation.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to More Info on Electric Shock and Dogs…

  1. Mick says:

    Sorry to hear of your tragic loss and the pain and suffering you and your German Shorthair went through though no fault of its own. What a painful story to read. I wish there was some way I could comfort you but there is not.

    To add you you list of occurances, I am aware of this happening to a street person in San Diego who was killed by electric shock when he slept on a metal bus bench several years ago. Something you may want to reference in the future.

  2. Marsh says:


    I’m so sorry about your loss. Thank you for working to turn it to good by protecting other pets/animals from potential danger. I’ve been fortunate to work with wild, feral, and stray animals in my area, and always feel quite blessed when I get a chance to help one of them out. Sammy would be quite proud of your efforts I’m sure.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s