Seattle Times:Dog electrocuted from Seattle sidewalk power plate

Lisa McKibbin had never heard of the term “contact voltage” until her German shorthair pointer was electrocuted Thanksgiving Day

“He was totally healthy, at the height of his career. It’s a bizarre death. It was noon on Thanksgiving, and me and my dog were doing our daily walk,” she says about Sammy, the 6-year-old, 68-pound dog.

“Then he just started screeching and yelping in pain. I thought he had stepped on something sharp. Then he just started convulsing and collapsed.
Lisa McKibbin had never heard of the term “contact voltage” until her German shorthair pointer was electrocuted Thanksgiving Day when he stepped on a metal plate by a lamppost.

“He was totally healthy, at the height of his career. It’s a bizarre death. It was noon on Thanksgiving, and me and my dog were doing our daily walk,” she says about Sammy, the 6-year-old, 68-pound dog.

“Then he just started screeching and yelping in pain. I thought he had stepped on something sharp. Then he just started convulsing and collapsed.

“I reached out to help him, and he was in so much pain that he bit my thumb. I was screaming, ‘Somebody help me! Oh, my God, I don’t know what’s happening with my dog!’ ”

A man performed CPR on the dog’s chest, says McKibbin, and someone else opened Sammy’s mouth to try and help.

There was enough electricity still in Sammy that the person got a shock from inside the dog’s mouth.

The same thing happened to McKibbin.

“It was a good shock, like when you plug something into the wall and you get jolted,” she says.

She says there have been no contact-voltage incidents, from current that can be present on the surface of electrified outdoor structures, that she knows of in recent years.

Asked how such contact voltage would affect a human toddler who touched an electrified metal plate, Hartman says, “I can’t speculate.”

As far as Sammy, “We cannot bring the dog back. I feel terrible. I’m a dog owner,” Hartman says.

McKibbin can file a claim with the city and says she will be talking to an attorney.

McKibbin, 43, was laid off as an account manager and is living with her mother and another dog.

She says the death of Sammy has cost her $1,300 so far.

She and her mother, Nancy Bostdorff, drove Sammy to an emergency clinic, which McKibbin says charged some $900 for various services in trying to revive the dog. McKibbin says she had to do everything she could to save Sammy even though she believes he died rather quickly after stepping on the plate.

McKibbin then will pay an additional $432 to have Sammy cremated; she plans to spread his ashes in Discovery Park and various places where he liked to run.

McKibbin has started a blog (sammysbigheart.wordpress.com) and has posted photos of Sammy and written, “He was my best friend, my soul mate.”

Erik Lacitis: 206-464-2237 or elacitis@seattletimes.com

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Seattle Times:Dog electrocuted from Seattle sidewalk power plate

  1. ben jammin says:

    Sue the city and make it very loud and public – this hsould NEVER happen again and loudly suing is the best way to accomplish that.

    Good luck and may Sammy have a sweet hereafter…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s