Jorge Carrasco, Superintendent at Seattle City Light last week at a press conference who admitted that ‘contact voltage’ killed my Sammy. After a third reported electric shock incident last week which happened in Seattle’s High Point neighborhood, I had believed all along that more electric shock incidents could occur and that Sammy’s tragedy was not isolated as City officials would like us all to believe. This deadly hazard is happening in our city.
To see Jorge Carrasco’s press conference, please visit:
25:19 of this video.
It’s been 18 days since I lost my best buddy, Sammy. I miss him so much. I’ve had to re-think about how and where I want to exercise and how I want to spend time with my (other) dog Lucy. We no longer walk the streets of Seattle. I am too terrified of the risk, yes, life is a risk, but I never thought walking down a benign sidewalk would ever be deadly. I was wrong. I do not want to scare people, this is not my intention. I just want to bring awareness of contact voltage and ways we can keep safe (see Sammy’s Safety Tips blog entry). There are also blog entries on the definition of contact voltage.
We now walk Green Lake, or the many hiking trails of Discovery Park, Cougar Mountain and other hiking areas.
The City of Seattle and Seattle City Light need to understand that Sammy was killed, he was not just a dog, he was unique and special, he was a living creature that enjoyed life so much, was so happy, and did not deserve to die. He still had so much to enjoy in life and now he is dead and will never have another hug, kiss, belly rub, hike or trip to look forward to.
What I want from the City of Seattle and Seattle City Light?
I want a comprehensive contact voltage preventive program implemented, I want routine checks and maintenance for contact voltage to keep our streets and sidewalks safe for our families and pets. Contact voltage is preventable, the City needs to take action and protect the streets and sidewalks that we, as residents should feel safe to walk on with our kids and pets. There are effective methods for accomplishing this! New York City and Toronto, Ontario are just a couple of cities that have taken the necessary steps to fix this (contact voltage) problem.
Sammy was an innocent victim, he did not need to die…he will be remembered forever and I will always love him.