Montreal The Gazette:”Lamppost’s stray voltage kills dog”

“Thank you for writing about Lily. She was truly an amazing loving dog and I miss her so much it hurts…I just don’t know what to do with myself”-Kelly Downs

Street shocks have been reported across North America, especially in cities  with aging infrastructure like Montreal’s”

By CATHERINE SOLYOM, The Gazette                                                           January  21, 2012

Lily, a happy-go-lucky Labrador-Schnauzer, was walking down a misty street in  Outremont Tuesday night when she started yelping, dropped to the ground in  convulsions, and died.

Her owner, Kelly Downs, began to scream herself. “Lily! What’s wrong? What is  happening? Somebody help!”

It wasn’t until Jeffrey Baker came out of his house to console her that she  began to understand what had happened. Baker had been walking his dog past the  same lamppost 20 minutes earlier and his dog had had a seizure.

Lily had been electrocuted.

Neither Downs, nor Baker, nor the city of Outremont had ever seen anything  like it. But upon inspection it turned out that a defective wire inside the  lamppost had created an electrified zone just outside it, possibly unnoticeable  to humans, but deadly to dogs.

In fact, stray or contact voltage, as the phenomenon is known, is not  uncommon at all, especially in cities plagued by aging infrastructure.

The most well-known fatality from stray voltage occurred in 2004, when New  York resident Jodie Lane and her two dogs were shocked by voltage from a  decaying service box under the street.

The two dogs survived, with burns to their paws, but Lane, a Columbia  graduate, did not. Since then, however, there have been hundreds of cases  reported across the United States, says Blair Sorrel, who has been tracking the  incidents since 2002.

“Electrocutions are fairly rare, fortunately, but shocks are not,” said  Sorrel, who runs the website Streetzaps. com.

“They tend to be underdocumented but fairly common – usually interpreted as  ‘something happened to the dog.’ ”

Street electrocutions happen when stray voltage from improperly insulated or  ungrounded wires or electrical equipment is conducted, typically through metal  grates, street signs, fire hydrants or bus shelters. Dogs are especially  susceptible because their four paws are bare. The salt and snow on Montreal’s  sidewalks also work as conductors of electrical current.

But Sorrel, who suggests “indoor restrooms” for dogs and de-icing products to  mitigate the danger, says while the risk is higher in the winter, there are  incidents all year round. “Equipment deteriorates all year round,” she says,  adding a national 30-year survey found the most incidents recorded in Florida,  peaking in June.

There have been cases in Canada too, notably in Toronto. Two dogs were  electrocuted on the same street corner near High Park in 2009, when they stepped  on an electrified grate. The source was found to be a faulty cable underground.  That prompted Toronto Hydro to launch a $14.4-million project to find locations  where electricity was escaping and posing a danger to the public.

Here in Montreal, one other incident was reported to the press, in February  2009. A woman’s 3-year-old beagle was electrocuted while walking along an icy  sidewalk. Hydro-Québec spokesperson Jean-Philippe Rousseau at the time dismissed  the possibility of electrocution as a cause, telling the Globe and Mail the  utility had too many fail-safe layers of concrete, insulation and ground  lines.

Contacted Friday about this latest incident, Rousseau again suggested an  autopsy should have been done on the dog.

“In Montreal, this is the first time I’m hearing about this … did he eat  something on the ground? A dog sniffs everywhere.”

At any rate, lampposts are the city’s responsibility, he said, not  Hydro-Québec’s.

As Lily lay motionless on the sidewalk along Côte. Ste. Catherine Rd., dog  owner Jeffrey Baker called 911 and firefighters were dispatched to the scene.  According to Sylvain Leclerc, head of communications for the borough of  Outremont, an electrician with the public works department then cut the power to  all the lampposts in the area and proceeded to inspect them all. That’s when he  found the stripped wire.

“The closer you got to the lamppost, the more dangerous it was – especially  for dogs,” Leclerc said, adding the problem was fixed overnight.

As a temporary solution, a 15-foot high wire now extends from one lamppost to  another to ground them both.

“But even if it’s not dangerous for a person, it was taken very seriously and  when we saw there was a problem, even an isolated problem, we decided to inspect  all the lampposts to make sure it never happened again.

Marie Potvin, the city councillor for Robert Bourassa – and a dog owner  herself – said she also would raise the issue with other councillors and the  mayor’s office because they should be inspecting their equipment too.

“When I heard about it, my jaw dropped. It’s serious because when we have old  infrastructure and wires we have the responsibility to make sure it’s safe, and  to prevent this sort of thing from happening elsewhere.”

Kelly Downs hopes what happened to Lily doesn’t happen again anywhere.

“There could be 100 lampposts like this in Montreal. I don’t know if it’s  safe.”

Baker says had it not happened to both of their dogs, the public would still  be in the dark about stray voltage.

“It was just the coincidence that the two dogs had the same reaction in the  same spot that allowed us to piece together the pieces of the puzzle,” Baker  said.

“But what if it had been a child walking there that night?”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Lamppost+stray+voltage+kills/6030691/story.html#ixzz1k7cHHjV0

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s